In recent years, the Esports category has witnessed an unprecedented surge in interest from gamers, accompanied by a supportive policy framework. This has set the stage for a new wave of growth and development in the industry, promising exciting possibilities for the future.
The segment has experienced exponential growth, fueled by increasing demand for online games. Several factors have contributed to this growth, including improved internet access. A rising number of smartphones, and the availability of affordable gaming devices. Furthermore, India’s relatively young population, with a median age of 28.2 years, has provided a boost to the prospects of Esports in the country.
Esports Industry: Achieving New Heights
Let’s delve into the growth of Esports in India in terms of numbers. According to the jointly compiled “State of Indian Gaming Report, 2022” by Lumikai and AWS, the Esports industry in India is poised for significant success and profitability in the coming years. The segment, which was valued at $40 million in 2022, is projected to reach a market cap of $140 million by 2027, with an estimated compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 32%.
The number of players in the Esports category has quadrupled between 2021 and 2022, growing from 150,000 to 600,000. Future projections suggest that this number will reach 1,500,000 by the end of 2027. Indians download more games than any other country globally, and this, coupled with the influence of the young generation, is propelling the industry’s exponential growth across various gaming verticals.
Alongside the expanding player base, the emergence of professional gamers and gaming communities has played a substantial role in propelling the growth of the Indian Esports industry. These dedicated players are increasingly investing in in-app content, subscriptions, and memberships to enhance their gaming experiences. Esports platforms are also actively engaging female gamers. As the number of women participating in Esports across different game genres is on the rise. Moreover, the support of policymakers has played a crucial role in driving the industry towards maturity and dynamism in the long run.
Emerging Trends and Developments in Esports
- Holistic Appeal: The appeal of Esports extends to both metro and non-metro residents in India. While gamers from metro cities fall into the mid-core and hardcore categories. Non-metropolitan gamers are joining Esports platforms for fun and enjoyment.
- In-App Purchases: Esports platforms are experiencing a surge in gamers who are willing to pay for in-game content. Subscription models are also gaining popularity, inspiring developers to create more engaging content and exciting experiences for gamers.
- Global Competitions and Tournaments: Esports competitions, which initially started at local and regional levels, have now gained international prominence. These tournaments offer substantial prize money, attracting more players to participate and be a part of the excitement.
- Cultural Influence: The desire among Indians to reconnect with their roots and explore cultural heritage is influencing the gaming segment. There is a notable inclination towards games that embody the Indian ethos and are rooted in ancient values. Furthermore, the Esports industry is witnessing a significant demand for games that promote health, well-being, and mindfulness among gamers.
- Burgeoning Ecosystem: The increased interest in Esports has catalyzed a comprehensive transformation in the ecosystem of the industry. All stakeholders are now working collaboratively and with supportive regulators. The opportunities in the segment are set to multiply in the future.
Esports is currently undergoing a significant transformation, and by capitalizing on its growing popularity, favourable policies, and increased internet access and gaming devices. The category has the potential to become a billion-dollar industry in the next few years. To achieve this, every stakeholder within the ecosystem must focus on delivering superior experiences to players. Creating a win-win situation and holistic benefits for all involved entities.